Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
camelot98
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: Camera for Street Shooting
In reply to Guidenet, Aug 26, 2012

Guidenet wrote:

camelot98 wrote:

thanks again for the advice and replies.
i really am leaning toward a d700 and a 50mm...
whats a good portrait lens for this camera?

I use a number of portrait lenses on my full frame cameras. I like the 85 f/1.4 G the best. Sometimes I carry my 80-200 f/2.8 as an all purpose portrait lens and sometimes I want it a little wider for environmental portraits and use the 50 f/1.8. It all depends on my mood and the assignment.

If I'm shooting pure candids, I'm often going with somewhat of a wider lens so I can point it somewhat away from my subject and yet capture them in a crop. I"ve even used my 16-35 f/4 for this job on my D700 or D800 but the 50 f/1.8 works just fine for this when you're a little back from them.

If I didn't have the Nikon 85 f/1.4 and didn't want to afford it, I'd get the 85 f/1.8 or even the excellent Sigma 85 f/1.4. The older 85 f/1.4 AFD is also a real gem with a certain magic of it's own.

I don't own it, but will soon be buying a 105 f/2 for portraits. The reason is my age and eyes. I've used the old manual focus 105 f/2.5 AI for a long time now and have loved it. Lately though I've had trouble focusing manual focus lenses with precision. I'm 61 but have diabetic eyes that just don't always see what they are supposed to see as far as focus is concerned. I need Autofocus more and more. I wish I could put AF on that old 105 f/2.5 AI I purchased so long ago or the one I bought more recently.

So right now, here it is. If I wanted a budget portrait lens on a D700, it would probably be the new 85 f/1.8 for around $500 I think. For street photography and environmental portraiture, the Nikon 50 f/1.8 G is absolutely a real winner at $219.

When I go on a paid event shoot, I carry two cameras around my neck. One is a D800 with the Nikon 16-35 f/4 AFS VR. The other is a gripped D700 with my 85 f/1.4 AFS G. I keep a SB800 mounted on the D800 and will sometimes move it to the D700. A black foamy thing is on the flash. Camera bag stays usually in the truck with other gear.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Thank you for that long reply on this camera and lenses! I really appreciate it! As someone who has never used a DSLR i need all the advice that i can get.

For street and environmental portraits you mention the nikon 50 1.8 as a great buy and lens which at the price it is looks great. I also wanted to ask you about the nikon 50 f1.4...what do you think of that lens? I am interested in low light shooting as well which is why i was thinking of this lens though 1.8 is plenty fast too. Anyway wanted your opinion.

Thanks again!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow