Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?
Great Sand Dunes
Aug 26, 2012

On my way back home from Rocky Mountain National Park, I stopped into Great Sand Dunes National Park. This area rests at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo mountains in south-central Colorado, and is home to the tallest sand dune in North America, which, according to the elevation profile generated by my GPS, has a prominence of up to 750 feet above the valley floor--a greater prominence than many of Colorado's fourteeners. The dunes are formed by wind sweeping sediment from the Rio Grande river valley, and the wind losing power as it passes over the mountains, depositing the sand at the base. The park is also very far removed from major highways, and the dunes are the greater part of a mile's hike from the nearest roads, making it a very quiet place.

These dunes hold a surprising amount of water, which, when combined with the monsoon season, accounts for the mottled coloration.

Last time I photographed sand dunes in White Sands, I exclusively used wide angle. This time, telephoto. Olympus E-PL1 with m.Zuiko 40-150 f/4.0-5.6.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow