advice for ND(s) filter for PanLeica 25 f1.4 l & 14-45 zoom lenses with GX!

Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
advice for ND(s) filter for PanLeica 25 f1.4 l & 14-45 zoom lenses with GX!
Aug 26, 2012

Hello,

Greetings and sorry for a very basic question. I have searched DPR and could not find the answer to my questions. Sincere apologies, if this is a boring question.

I recently found myself shooting the Pan GX1 with 25mm f/1.4 in very bright light and could not adjust the f stop to a wide aperture since the ISO begins at 160, and the shutter speed was not fast enough to give proper exposure.

Basically looking for advice what x factor ND to get. Also, want the ND for use in specific situations where very long exposures to make water to look "milky" and to make people "disappear" from street scenes.

For those using ND filters, what are your recommendations for one or two basic ND filters for the PanLeica 25 f.4 and also can be used on the Panny 14-45 zoom?

25mm f/1.4 has filter thread of 46mm, 14-45 has fliter thread is 52mm. Or better to buy both sizes of ND filters. Should I get a "step up" or "step down" ring instead? I am confused what is the difference in the rings.

I have seen adverts for variable densitiy ND filters from Singh Ray, Hoye, B+W, Kenko, etc. but they are very expensive and maybe cost more than 2 basic ND filters. Are they worth the euros?

Would a polarizer work along with ND filterr?

And, finally, would I need to manually focus or will AF still work when ND is attached? I am sight impaired and it is difficult for me to focus manually on the back LCD.

Thank you in advance.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow