Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Namur
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Old & New combo - OM 300mm f/4.5 + E5
Aug 26, 2012

Lately I've been trying my hand with a recently-acquired copy of the OM 300mm f/4.5 on my E-5. I'm a big fan of the ZD 70-300 and wanted to see how the legacy prime would perform and if it would be sharper.

My conclusion: not a lot in the comparison. The prime may be just a tad sharper & is brighter. It gives pleasing enough results (to me at least) but is a deal more tricky to shoot, being without benefit of AF. Bright light is key for both these lenses and with the OM the IS should be enabled if not using support (above shots all hand-held). The radio mast (last photo) is easily 1km distant; all other shots 30m or significantly less.

The OM is considerably heavier than the ZD - but not heavier than my ZD 50-200 + EC 1.4 combo (which it out-ranges). For the low price used (> $200) it's a nice 'specialty' addition to my kit. Next, some moon-shots, using a tripod...

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy

Cheers
Namur

Namur's gear list:Namur's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow