Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bjornsen
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
Thought I had ruined my D700 sensor
Aug 26, 2012

I had noticed some spots on the vacation pictures and decided I had to finally sit down with the cleaning stuff [bought 4 years ago; too chicken to use it] and deal with grime removal.

Cleaned sensor; took shot of a white door to review. Still stuff there.

Cleaned sensor; took shot of a white door to review, but camera wouldn't fire without something to focus on. Included part of the knob. Stuff still there.

Cleaned sensor one more time; took a shot of the door with same problems of the camera not wanting to fire without something to focus on. Went through A, S, P, M and finally got it to fire. Sensor looked much better.

Headed to wedding, with my D7000 as a backup. Fortunately, I wasn't the primary photog, but he got stuck in traffic so I started to get some shots. Grabbed the D700 and took a shot of the folks in the seats [outdoor wedding], looked at the display and everything was washed out big time. Tried another adjusting the ISO and EV for bright and STILL washed out. I'm thinking I'm Fyooked and have a repair bill in my future. Finished shooting with the little 7, the other photog showed up and I head home. . . .

where I noticed that the mode was still set to manual [which was where I left it to force a shot post cleaning] with settings absolutely guaranteed to blow out any outdoor shot in the sun. Changed it back to real world settings using S mode and a test shot confirmed my hardware was fine. . . Idiot Operator Error.

I need to spend more time shooting. . . .

http://www.pbase.com/bjornsen (pbase contributor)
Any day your socks match and you are not on fire is a good day.

bjornsen's gear list:bjornsen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 +6 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow