Photography: The big lie

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
karlreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 633Gear list
Like?
PP and as shot..Photography: The bigger truths
In reply to 3DrJ, Aug 26, 2012

My comments on PP drew some criticism. The best photographers I know personally are extreme users of PP, however, I try to avoid it.

there is something about the challenge of "as shot". I now crop a little, and do a little geometry, and also, now do some exposure and highlight adjustment, but, i generally avoid it because I loose then low-noise properties delivered by the D700.

This a favourite shot.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/kreed/works/4879121-vancouver-boats-at-night-001

It has, as far as my LR log shows, had very little 9actually, no) PP.

Its one of about six, some of the others have blown highlights, and actually look a bit better.

I'm sure a lot of PP would make it better.. but, I rather like it. I like the relative lack of noice, and, the almost pure black. A PP'd version I saw was technically better, but had lost that solid black look.

Some one made the point about the "real" pping that went on with coloured prints. I used a great processing shop in Greensborough near me, and, my prints were always great. I now know they are adjusting the colour temperature quite a bit.. but, i got my prints ate their best, without any action on my part.

Anyway, its been an interesting discussion, thanks to the OP..

Regards
Karl
--
karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
zzzzNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow