Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blechkiste
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Hiking in Ireland with V1 and P7000
Aug 26, 2012

Probably my most relaxing vacation ever. 170km of hiking in total and really great weather too!

Equipped with two cameras (Nikon V1 and P7000), which were selected from my pool of cameras for their light weight and size (for backpackers: every gram counts), we made the Western Way, Bluestack Mountains Way and up in Inishowen some lovely beach walks.

Though I had the 10mm, 10-30mm and 30-110mm with me, I eventually left the 10mm on for most of the time, simply because of my preference for shooting landscape and because of getting lazy over time

It was my first shooting with the Nikon V1 and here are some observations I have made during my hiking trip:

• The Nikon extra grip was very helpful, especially when you have greasy fingers from suncream and/or sweat

• The mode dial is badly placed, it happened many times that I found myself in another program mode - need to be think of checking it every time you take it out of the bag

• The flash/accessory port-cover got lost but found again - from then on, I have left the GPS Unit always on

• The view-finder is great for stabilisation and when really sunny

• Autofocus speed and accuracy is simply a dream compared to Sigma DP series (well, no surprise), but even Nikon D7000 and P7000.

• When rainy, or showers, I had the camera in a Lowepro Apex 110 AW bag which was clipped to the rucksack shoulder straps on my chest, otherwise, my UPstrap was providing good services

• The GPS Unit is sometimes slow to find the satellites, but with the camera in stand-by, it usually came up within 1-3 seconds

• The EVF is not always coming up, especially when in stand-by

Overall, the V1 was pretty much what I have expected it to be. The picture quality is sufficient for me considering the main purpose of carrying a light-weight and compact camera for hiking , the P7000 shots are IMHO equally good.

RAW files postprocessing with both cameras was done in LR4:

• Cropping when straitening (no guidelines when shooting...)

• Auto Tone, then from there fine-tuning (works pretty well on most of the shots)

• Noise reduction on all pictures with level set depending on ISO

• Sharpening, higher on landscape pictures

Much of the clouds / sky could be recovered during processing. For one day, I have used a circular polarfilter.

And now enjoy the pictures.
Walter

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow