Started Aug 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fastfwd01
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
G1X RAW Post Processing
Aug 26, 2012

I’ve never really delved into tweaking RAW files a great deal honestly. I might apply the autocorrect to any RAW files that I’ve happened to shoot and play a little, but for the most part I just took all my pictures in jpeg after experimenting with my G6 when I first got it in 2005.

I’ve just noticed that my new G1X RAW files were suffering from the default Adobe RAW file camera profile pretty badly (compared to the in camera jpegs) and adjusted it to ‘Process 2012/Camera Standard’ which seems to produce a pretty fair image by default, but after seeing the issues I tried the Canon Digital Photo Professional software and it seems to output an image with a better gradation of colors in my test pics. Possibly with a bit of over sharpening applied.

Am I just not using the Adobe correctly or did I catch it on here that the Adobe RAW processing might be lacking? I’m using Camera RAW 6.7 – which I didn’t even expect to be able to process these new RAW files honestly. I seem to remember having to dig up an update to do my G12 images.

Here’s the Adobe with no tweaking other than the presets mentioned:

http://flic.kr/p/cYBrbf

This is the Canon version that I seem to think is superior – if only by the default preset settings:

http://flic.kr/p/cYBbeW

I’m totally blown away that I got that picture with a handheld .4 sec shutter and it came out that sharp btw. Wow! That seems pretty amazing to me, but I’m not a pro. Possibly a fluke that I wouldn’t depend on happening, but seems impressive to me as I’m experimenting with it.

Fastfwd01's gear list:Fastfwd01's gear list
Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow