Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jerry Pruce
Contributing MemberPosts: 718
Like?
Mac Mini server vs. Macbook Pro
Aug 25, 2012

I currently have a 2008 24" iMac core duo 2.8ghz w/ 6 gigs of ram. My home space and studio are off the grid. Most of my electricity comes 900 watts of solar panels. I also have a 3000 watt generator I use mostly in the winter time on cloudy days. My current iMac uses 280 watts when it's cranking. On sunny days it is not to much of an issue. On cloudy days when I'm on the computer a lot, it really runs my batteries down and I have turn on the genny. Gas is expensive where I live and I'm 45 minutes from town.

The newest 27" iMac i7 quad core consumes 330 watts. Most of that is the display. Why are Apple displays such energy hogs?

I can get a non retina 15" MBP quad core i7 or the same in a Mac Mini server. Either will except up 16 gigs of ram and a swap out to SSD drives. Both consume about 75 watts. If I go with a 27" NEC PA271W-BK (consumes about 100 watts), I would have a major upgrade using about 100 watts less than what I have now. That 100 watts less energy would be significant.

My budget is around $2500 including ram and SSD upgrades. I know it's doable.

I'm leaning towards getting a Mac Mini, except the graphics card is not as good as what I would get in an 15"i7 MBP. Most of what I do is in PS, Lightroom and Painter. I don't do video or have more than 2 apps open at the same time when I'm working. Would the better graphics card in the MBP make much of a difference?

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jerry

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow