50mm f/1.2 first outing

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
El Duende
Contributing MemberPosts: 516Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm f/1.2 first outing
In reply to photokandi, Aug 25, 2012

Well I think that the 50 1.2 is very usable wide open and definitely worth it. It just takes more practice and skill to master using. As I only had the lens for a 3 day rental period, I didn't get the chance to really work with it a lot at f/1.4 to the point that I got results that I thought were worth sharing with the rest of the world. I'm sure though that given time and practice I would be using it wide open a lot more. I've seen some great examples of other people doing wonderful things with this lens between f/1.2 and 1.4 and it's one of the main reasons I wanted to try a Canon body.

Also remember that an f/1.2 lens is going to be a lot sharper at f/1.4 - f2, for example, than an f/1.4 lens, so the benefits of a max aperture of f/1.2 extend upwards even when not shooting wide open, and this is aside from the fact that it has better quality glass and construction than an f/1.4 or slower lens, plus better resale value, etc.

AC1 wrote:

Which kind of negates the benefit of spending the extra on the 1.2 doesn't it?

El Duende's gear list:El Duende's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow