Z-990 problem

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,640
Like?
Re: Z-990 problem
In reply to chiue, Aug 25, 2012

The z-990 remains totally dead, so no more original posts from me.

I bought the z-990 as a Kodak Reub, only paid $119 for it, so it was not a lot of money lost, but 4 months of service kind of bugs me.

I an quite certain that some electrical component has failed when I turned the camera to on the last time, probably a fuse.

With Kodak's present status and now their selling off all the consumer film business, their service department has also taken a hit. A phone call gets you to a non native English speaking person, INDIA? MEXICO?

I received no help. Looked into a few of the INTERNET repair shops, pretty much all the same price for an evaluation (around $120), you pay the shipping both ways. Notice that this is for an evaluation, not the repair.

So yesterday, I got all the tools out. screw drivers, high intensity lights, a pad to lay the camera on and a old glass ash tray for those little screws. Took the camera back off, following some directions found on the INTERNET, removed the LCD and by this time I had decided that I was getting no place as to follow the path of battery power.

The camera is very complex in its construction and having no repair parts anyways, I put every thing back together, touched up the screw heads with a flat black paint pen ( hide my taking it apart).

Took the SD card and batteries and put them away in my supply box. The camera presently is in a camera case, but I think I will also salvage this case and put the camera out for a display item on a shelf some place here at the apartment.

Being originally from Rochester, NY, I feel very sad that Kodak continues with its very slow death.

I have enjoyed meeting many of you here at this forum and wish you all good luck shooting with your Kodak gear. Treat it with care.
Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow