ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jacques_t
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
Thinking of an upgrade
Aug 25, 2012

Hi All,

I currently have a Nikon D50 (yes, quite old) 6MP camera together with a 50mm 1.8 & Sigma 17-70 lens. I'm running out of resolution at 3000x2000 and find printing anything larger than A3+ size a bit of a pain.

Let me just say the I'm not brand loyal at all, the only reason I chose the D50 over the Rebel in those days was ergonomics! I have quite large hands and found the canon a bit small.

I'm thinking of selling up the few bits of gear I have and getting a 5D MKII from amazon? I tend to shoot mostly with my prime 50mm so will invest in another one of these again (maybe a 1.4 this time). I'll most likely also get a 85mm and 16-35 down the line.

I don't shoot sport or running horses etc., and as long as the AF on the 5D isn't any worse than a the D50 then I'd be happy. Hell, most of my lenses are motor driven servo AF at the moment! I want to venture into FF and have the ability to print larger canvas images so resolution and IQ are important. I also like to shoot low ISO whenever possible so having the 50 expansion is a bonus plus the 100 baseline.

Most of my photos as scenic, portraits and detail shots of architecture, industrial type street furniture etc. I hardly ever shoot moving objects.

Any suggestions, I've looked at the 7D but prefer the options available of the FF lenses.

Oh and the reason I'm thinking of Canon is I shot with one at a wedding and really loved the feel and layout of the body. I even fell in love with the shutter sound!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks folks.

Jacques

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow