$1500 to spend on a Nikon or Canon...help me think this through

Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
PoBoy New Member • Posts: 15
$1500 to spend on a Nikon or Canon...help me think this through

Hello,

Thanks to a contest, I have $1500 to spend on a new Nikon or Canon DSLR. Help me think this through.

Background: I currently use a Sony A700, which is a great camera thanks to the highly intuitive controls. I love this camera, though it's a bit noisy and slow on the auto focus. I'm also a bit shaky about Sony long-term, and so I've been wanting to switch to Nikon or Canon. This is my chance.

Right now, 85% of the pictures I take are with the 35mm/1.8. I have a 1-year old (well, 366 days old!) daughter, and she is my primary subject. When not photographing her, I tend to do a bit of everything, street/nature/sports, without a strong preference for either. I do a lot of low-natural-light photography with the A700, but am getting good with the flash, as well. I'm excited about the ability to shoot video with my SLR so I can stop carrying a dedicated video camera around, as well.

Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to full frame, but that won't happen on $1500. However, I only want to switch systems this one time, so the upgrade path and ability to use my lenses later is important to me. I think most Nikon lenses can be used in the DX and FX lines, but the Canons need to be EF (not EF-S) to be used on both?

Bang-for-buck wise, it looks like the 7D and D300s are right around my max price and are both great cameras. What should I be thinking about as I pick between these two cameras? Or is there another Canon or Nikon camera I should be thinking of?

Thanks so much!
-Stuart

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300S Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow