Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rkeller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
Shooting pro for a week [images]
Aug 24, 2012

I've been shooting professionally for longer than that :), but I thought I'd share some images all taken during the span of one week earlier in August, with the Olympus E-M5. Hopefully this will provide some information on how Micro Four Thirds cameras work in real life in a range of professional shooting situations. Of the 9 images shown, 6 were from paid gigs, 2 were in my capacity as the official photog for a local non-profit group, and one was on my own time.

I grow weary of endless discussions and worries and hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing about minute aspects of so-called "image quality" of various formats/lenses/settings/etc. My shots are accompanied by technical details and some notes about the equipment in use and what I like about it - this might provide a different perspective or jumping-off point for discussion... have at it!

Wine bottle in studio

• lens: Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II at 25mm

• Used 5 strobes in manual slave mode triggered with the accessory flash: 3 Olympus FL-36Rs, 1 FL-50R, and 1 Metz 58 AF-2

• With its close-focusing capabilities, flexible range, and sharpness, the 14-54 is my go-to lens for studio product work

• Using the zoom-focus feature in manual mode, it is easy to get the focus exactly right for critical applications

Kitchen re-design

• lens: Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6 at 10mm (with some cropping and rectifying)

• Used 5 strobes in manual slave mode triggered with the accessory flash

• I have found the 9-18mm lens to be very sharp and contrasty. A shot like this is all about balancing the desired exposure for the window views with the interior scene. I build up the shot with multiple strobes in manual slave mode

• With the light anti-aliasing filter and a sharp lens, the camera is great for rendering the fine details architectural work. I've done large prints of images like this and they look stunning.

Executive headshot in subject's backyard

• lens: Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8

• Used 1 strobe triggered with the accessory flash in RC mode with Super FP enabled (high shutter speed synch)

• The 45mm lens is an excellent portrait lens, and combined with the eye-detect of the E-M5 it is a dream lightweight setup. The small size is completely non-intimidating to the subject and one is able to quickly establish a rapport while the camera nails focus effortlessly

• In this case I shot Super FP mode so I could use a higher shutter speed to darken the background

Balinese bracelet in studio

• lens: Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II at 35mm

• Used 1 strobe in manual slave mode triggered with the accessory flash

• The 14-54 lens focuses in close and renders pleasing out-of-focus highlights

Chemistry professor portrait in lab #1

• Used 2 strobes (one on subject, one on glassware in background) triggered with the accessory flash in Super FP Mode

• The E-M5 nails focus on the near eye quickly and accurately, letting me concentrate on the alignment of the subject and the background. Controlling multiple strobes from the camera in RC mode is easy. Without leaving my shooting position, I was able to quickly dial in the correct amount for the 2nd strobe to illuminate the background.

Chemistry professor portrait in lab #2

• Used 2 strobes (one on subject, one on chalkboard in background) triggered with the accessory flash in Super FP Mode

• Same story as the first. The E-M5 & 45mm combo works great as an on-location/environmental portrait setup.

Restaurant at night

• lens: Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7

• This one wasn't shot as part of a job. But I had been admiring the new restaurant (built out of a remodeled gas station) for awhile, and pulled my car over momentarily one night, grabbed a few shots and left. M43 means the camera and a good assortment of lenses in a small bag are with me at virtually all times. Opportunistic shots like this are easy.

• The Panny 20 is a great lens shot wide open and even better stopped down slightly as in this shot. I've shot handheld images at 4/10 with the E-M5 that are crystal clear, so this one at 1/20 sec. didn't stress its capabilities

Backyard concert at dusk

• This might have been an intimate backyard show, but the performer played a big show in L.A. the next night.

• I typically try to stay at or above 1/60 sec. for performances and the very good high ISO performance of the E-M5 allowed me to do that here. The OVF allows for easy metering in tricky lighting such as this.

Backyard concert at sunset

• The 45mm lens handled this backlit and very low-contrast scene well

• Focus with face/eye-detect is easy. Shooting from a seated front row with the low-profile camera/lens profile does not interfere with the performer or the other audience members

• Processed contrasty to enhance grain in B&W

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"

"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan

"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow