Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
HS-30EXR & P510 Video
In reply to Flarpswitch, Aug 25, 2012

Flarpswitch wrote:

. . .

Here is the question... I only on occasion will shoot a video, you know- waterfalls and the dog chasing seagulls on the beach, that sort of stuff. So far AVI format on my S7000 and AX200 fills the bill. What's the deal on the MOV format? I am having trouble with the sound. If I take the unedited file and play it using the TV using three different DVD players, Roku or even load it on my phone, I get a good picture but no sound. To hear the sound, I have to connect the camera to the TV. If I load the file onto the computer, great sound but the picture is jumpy using Quicktime.

What computer do you have? It may be jumpy because it's old and slow and/or uses software instead of hardware to process video. When I watched youtube videos with my old Dual Core XP computer, it often paused even when watching the lowest resolution videos. I thought that it might have been due to my not so speedy DSL internet connection. When I upgraded to a newer laptop with Intel's CPU that has its own embedded video circuitry (Intel HD Graphics 4000) as well as an NVIDIA NVS 5400M chip, I was able to view much higher resolution videos with no buffering pauses using the same DSL modem. I just shot a short video using my HS20 and on the new Win7 laptop it plays the video (with sound) just fine, no pauses, using either Quicktime or VLC.

I don't have that sort of trouble with other H.264 stuff. I tried to edit the files to get sound to play on the TV. Is the embedded audio different than on other cameras? I can't find the spec on Fuji, but I see on the Nikon P510, the other camera I considered, the audio is recorded as AAC format. I am looking for a camera for still photography, but I would like to have the option of video without jumping though a lot of hoops to get it.

The videos shot by my HS20 and P510 are both saved as .MOV files. As with the HS20 video, the P510 video also plays with no problems on the new laptop using VLC. The spec's show that the P510's video format is "JPEG/H.264 AAC (MOV)". This may be the same as what the HS30 uses. The HS30EXR manual only says "MOV (H.264)".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow