Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,784Gear list
Like?
answer me this re color
Aug 24, 2012

I like Fuji color ..Most here do. We Fuji color lovers would say Fuji color is better than other color ..yet some cameras are rated as having better color depth than others ..even better thanFUJI offerings.

The Nikon D800 is rated higher in color depth than say our beloved S100fs as seen here:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Nikon/D800E

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Fujifilm/FinePix-S100fs

Okay so the D800 beats the S100 in color depth ..cool..BUT the wonder is this.

Are not all cameras no matter how great they are at color ..limited to the color spectrum of printers and also of monitors ?

Is this in fact a real limitation or do cameras actually never get as good as monitors or printing can now render re color and so all color depth ratings are relative to that range?

If a camera exceeds the ability of various modes of rendering its color output, is its capacity then an exotic and rather useless statistic???

Personally is does seem to me that FFrame cams from what I have observed do seem to acquire a richer color depth ..but is that apparent and not real ..as in spectrum differences? Is there a difference between real spectrum differences and color depth ..and if so what the heck is color depth. Clearly not something we are seeing in Fuji color or so the numbers I proffer here would say.

Apologies if my questions seem rather ignorant but I think an answer to them from those who know would be good for everyone to hear.

I of course will do my own research on this as it is of $$$ interest. My guess is there is a color gambit limitation that cameras meet when their images are reproduced.
g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MarkNew
MarkNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow