E-M5, Panasonic 12-35, CA and Fringing (The Fiasco)

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,527Gear list
Like?
On the fence
In reply to Bob Tullis, Aug 24, 2012

In my experience, removing fringing is a hit-or-miss operation. When an image has significant fringing, I'm rarely able to remove the fringing acceptably with one click of the eyedropper in LightRoom. One click often either leaves too much fringing behind or bleeds too much true color out of the image.

I can switch to local adjustments or manipulate the sliders, but I'll be honest, it's the one step in PP that I hate the most, and the one that seems the least necessary. It's me having to spend time correcting a problem that's the fault of the equipment.

This is problematic, as it can add a significant amount of time to the post-processing workflow. If this $1300 12-35mm lens is producing a lot of fringing, which, in the original examples, it has, I would find that a major problem.

Furthermore, if I increase the magnification of the sample images to 100%, I start to see strange artifacts on the edges where fringing was corrected. These may only be visible at high magnification, but shouldn't a $1300 lens be capable of delivering images that look good at high magnification, even under difficult lighting conditions?

I certainly find the idea of this lens (and the upcoming 35-100mm sibling) very intriguing, but I detest fringing and having to deal with it manually in post processing. It's a step that should be unnecessary, and a truly unpleasant waste of my precious time.

I think $1300 is a fair price for a 12-35mm f/2.8 lens that doesn't produce excessive fringing. I think it's too dear of a price for the same specs with fringing.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow