Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bokstaver
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Optimal lens for D800E small fl
Aug 24, 2012

I'm looking for the "perfect" lens for my D800E. Main use will be landscape, street and some buildings/city life. The thing is that I can't find a lens that is sharp enough in a moderate price range. I've tested the new 85mm 1.8G, and I found that to be supersharp but the focal length is more adapted to portrait. I also tried out the 70-200 VR1, Voigtlander 40mm (not that sharp), Voigtlander 20mm (worse than the 40mm), 28mm 2.8 AI (blurry and not sharp).

Now ive been looking at the Zeiss 21mm f/2 and the 35mm, but I feel that the 35mm focal length will restrict me too much. And now I came across Nikkor AF-S 28mm f/1.8 G, according to photozone.de ( http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/751-nikkorafs2818ff?start=1 ) it has very good MTF values, which is how I compare the lenses. But according to kenrockwell, this 28mm 1.8G is as sharp as the old 28mm 2.8 AI that I have, I found the old one to be very blurry and not sharp at all. If they are the same, optically I will keep the 28mm 2.8AI. Are they optically likewise sharp in the center?

I've also considered buying the 14-24 (Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED) which seems to be the best nikkor lens. I've compared it to the 24mm 1.4G and cannot decide which one I woud go for since the price for both are somewhat equal.

So what do you say? Keep the 28mm 2.8 AI since its optically the same as the new 28mm 1.8G, go with Zeiss 21mm which is supersharp in center but rest is not that good? And if I would pump up that cash, isnt the 14-24 a better option since I also get the AF? Or would I go with the 24mm 1.4G / 14-24?

Thanks for all answers!

ps. my D800E has the left AF failure, bought in Sweden. Will send it in soon.

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow