How to use Nikon flashes with new Olympus OMD E-M5

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
gisle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468
Like?
Re: How to use Nikon flashes with new Olympus OMD E-M5
In reply to ShelleyD, Aug 24, 2012

ShelleyD wrote:

Great. I hadn't realised that it would trigger a non-Olympus flash.

SU-4 mode on the SB-800 is just a built-in basic optical slave trigger. It will trigger of any fully manual lead flash (i.e. no TTL). Just make sure that pre-flash is supressed, otherwise the SB-800 will fire before the shutter opens.

Will it also trigger the SB600?

Unlike the SB-800, the SB-600 has no built-in basic optical slave trigger (just an advanced AWL slave mode that is not compatible with Olympus equipment). However, you can fix this by attaching a basic optical slave trigger - this survey gives an overview over suitable (and not suitable) triggers, including tests with the SB-600: http://dpanswers.com/content/optical_flash.php

Can the little flash be off camera via a cord to flash the Nikon strobes?

You should be able to use them off-camera with a cord. I think your TTL remote cord SC-29 will work without modification on an Oly (but still only give you M/AA/GN modes), but if you run into problems, but insulating tape over all the contacts except the edge connector (GND) and centre connector (X-sync).

-- hide signature --

– gisle [ See profile/plan for equipment list ]

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow