Going full frame, time to change allegiance??!

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Saltrock
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Going full frame, time to change allegiance??!
Aug 24, 2012

I've had a 450d since they were released and for years just used the stock 18-55 and a tameron 70-200 using the preset modes on the camera.

6 months ago I went on a beginners course and ever since my enfatuation with the camera hasn't stopped! I've since purchased the 1.4 50mm and the 70-200 f2.8 Mk2.

Now, I'm beginning to realise the limitations with this camera and have decided that in the next few months that it's time to upgrade to full frame.

I've had a play with both the D800 and the 5d mk3 and that's where my dilemma begins....

1. I love the way the Nikon sits in the hand, feels a bit more comfortable than the mk3.

2. The higher res does interest me for cropping photos etc and getting the extra detail and depths on blacks (so I've been told by a pro).

3. I'm more familiar with the layout on the mk3 (changing app,shutter sp, ISP etc) and I like the addition of the jog wheel.

4. I have the 2 canon lenses but as all of my equipment is vat free when purchased, I'm confident I could get near enough the same price I bought them for if I had to sell them.
5. I can get the mk3 for £2300 and the d800 for £2090 in my local camera shop.

I've also read rumours of a 40mp full frame canon coming this autumn? If true, should I be waiting for that?

I take a variety of shots - family bbqs, long exp astro stuff, some sport, landscape and some closeup - so I guess I'm an all rounder!

I'mnreally 50/50 with this one and if I'm going to change, now is the time.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2) Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow