Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,419
Like?
More moon stuff
Aug 24, 2012

Took another crack at the moon this evening with the EM5, Nikkor 400 and 2x TC. Got a nice half moon shot... this is uncropped to give an idea what sort of magnification 800mm gives on a 4/3 sensor.

While messing about in LR, I thought I'd see if I could find the Apollo landing sites. This is cropping down to 1:1, so the results wont be razor sharp, but here's what I believe to be the sites.

Sea of Tranquility, Apollo 11. Landing site is just about dead center on this crop. Looks smooth, but Armstrong had to take manual control and fly horizontally when the initial landing was in a boulder strewn area.

Descarte, Apollo 16. The landing was about in the center of the smooth spot slightly down and left of the middle of this crop. That's putting faith in the descent navigation - not a place you'd want to be off course.

Taurus-Littrow, Apollo 17. The two shadows close together slightly down and to left of center appear to be cast by the north massif and south massif of the Taurus mountain range. Apollo 17 landed between them.

These last two came from a previous moon shot, as they were blacked out in the half moon of this evening.

Appenines/Hadley Rille, Apollo 15. Hadley Rille didn't show up in this one, it's a snakelike canyon, but you can make out Mt. Hadley as the dark spot towards the top, it's 17,000 feet tall. Apollo 15 landed slightly above and to the right of Mt Hadley. Must have been a spectacular view on the way down.

Oceanus Procellarum/Fra Mauro, Apollo 12 and 14. Apollo 12 landed on the left side of this crop, Apollo 14 landed on the right side. Still can't find Alan Shephard's golf balls.

Anyway, it was fun to do a bit of lunar exploring, at least in my dreams.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow