Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Harvey
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
FZ200 First Day Shots and Overall Impressions
Aug 24, 2012

OK - it's been less than 24 hours and I'm still learning what works best but a couple of things stand out...

The advantages of the f/2.8 lens are obvious. But, especially as you zoom, the lens really needs to be stopped down for best results. (It's nice to know you've got it if you need it, though).

The zoom control on both the shutter button and on the side of the lens is a nice feature.

The camera responds and focuses quickly (THAT comes the closest to "DSLR-like").

Some have hoped for" near DSLR quality"....sadly, no (but certainly not surprising).
Even RAW, the little sensor just can't do it.

Another poster has stated that the FZ200 is the "nail in the coffin" for DSLR's.

This is hardly the case. Both my D7000 and D800 are vastly superior, but you're not going to see me carrying around a 600mm f/2.8 Nikkor (which is not only NOT hand-holdable, but costs upwards of $10,000!). The new Panny DOES pack a lot of goodness into a small package and for 'snapshooters' might make more sense than the entry-level DSLR's.

If all you'll be doing is printing 4X6's with a minimum of PP the, yes, the FZ200 is the best choice I've seen yet (and I've tried almost all) in the SuperZoom category.

It will certainly be MY camera of choice if I'm not planning a serious "photo safari".

IQ is very good (basically, same as FZ150) but not as good as, say, the FUJI XS-1 (which I bought and sold due to slow overall operation, slow focus and inferior low-light focusability) and the Nikon D800 (even using 9mp) just blows it away.

Images, viewed at 100%, can be good...but the lighting and exposure need to be spot on.

Underexposure brings out a lot of JPEG processing 'noise' and the images get that
"paint by numbers" look. Even RAW is noisy if underexposed.

Surprisingly...the digital zoom works very well. So far I've gotten cleaner, sharper images with 1200mm @ 50% than with 600mm @ 100%!

Here are a couple of examples. The lighting on the Great Blue Heron was just awful.

You probably couldn't have deliberately created such a nightmare. Practically shooting into a setting sun. But it was the only angle I could get and I kinda' wanted to see how the camera would handle adverse conditions.

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow