XZ-1: Sometimes a pink stripe on screen when I shoot.

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,862Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1: Sometimes a pink stripe on screen when I shoot.
In reply to geoffmalter, Aug 23, 2012

geoffmalter wrote:

Kirppu wrote:

Ken Sills wrote:

If the camera is pointed at a very bright light source, like the sun, a vertical stripe appears on the view screen, but not on the photo. This is normal behavior for the camera.

Anyone know why this happens?

What's the technical reason why the display goes haywire in direct bright light...
--
Hobbyist member

I believe it has to do with the characteristics of the CCD sensor (as compared to a CMOS sensor), where a strong light source overwhelms it.

Yup. It's called blooming. Basically, a CCD comprises long lines of charge buckets that have a voltage-controlled barrier between them that is raised to capture the charge in a sensel and that then strategically lowered and raised to cause the charge to flow towards one end of the line of buckets to a waiting charge amplifier and A/D converter (AKA "bucket-brigade line". Since the separation between wells is not infinite, excess charge (from a very bright light) can overflow the barriers and flood the entire line of buckets. That causes the pinkish line. Note that it only appears in one direction, indicating in which direction the bucket line moves charge.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow