Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Edoveral
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Some pictures with my new G5, first time out
Aug 23, 2012

After getting to know my new camera in the past week, I had some opportunity to take it out for some shots in the castle's garden near where I work. NO pictures of the castle itself, because it's an ugly and dull castle. It's more like a big house. The gardens are ok however.

All pictures shot with the G5 and 14-42 kitlens. All handheld, out of the camera JPG.

And this one is a 100% crop

And 3 from the city I live:

To summarize, I'm pretty happy with the colors, contrast and even dynamic range of the camera-jpg. Even with the kitlens I find sharpness more than accepteble.

There's one big but however. The JPG-rendering of this camera, compared to my Canon 450D is miles behind. No matter what settings, looking at a pixellevel the pictures from the G5 are much less clean. It has more JPG artefacts and it's clearly more sharpened in-camera. It seems that where my Canon managed to get sharp results from it's lenses, this camera gets it from his software.

There's one small but too. My expectation was that DOF-control would not make a big difference using this camera with kitlens or my Canon with kitlens. Now, shooting these flowers, I come to the conclusion that the difference is just big enough to annoy me. It's probably just one or two stops, but it makes all the difference. Thank God for Macro lenses!

Perhaps these 'buts' is just me pixelpeeping to much, but it doesn't make me love this camera any less. This is the best piece of equipment I ever bought and it's going to stay with me for a long time....

Hope you find these helpfull.

Edoveral's gear list:Edoveral's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +2 more
Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow