Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,315Gear list
Like?
IBIS Question (technical)
Aug 23, 2012

I don't know if this has been brought up before, if so then apologies, but searching for IBIS gets an astounding number of hits on this forum and I couldn't find this mentioned in my attempts at looking.

I should also point out I shoot Panasonic m43 and FF Canon (well, plus a RX100), so only use OIS, hence can't experiment.

What I want to know is the effect IBIS has on the corners of the image. I'm assuming as the lenses get longer the movement gets larger. I don't know what the maximum movement an E-M5 (for example) allows. However the tests of some m43 lenses show a fair amount of corner fall-off at wide apertures. If you are then moving sidewards in the image circle does that give lop-sided issues? Also is there the "room" in the image circles of both the Oly and Pana lenses for this? (This is presumably a plus for OIS systems, which can handle a long lens and a fair bit of movement and still centre the image circle on the sensor. Provided the lens has OIS of course.)

No trying to start a flame war between IBIS and OIS, just really curious, especially as my GF1 is due an upgrade (GH3 perhaps, lets see what the answers here are).

John

Edit - I've seen Sony talk of sensor travel of 5mm in any direction for their IBIS - that's a lot for a small-ish m43 image circle if Oly are comparable.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow