Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,038Gear list
Like?
D800e with DX Superwide in 1.2 Crop Mode
Aug 23, 2012

I know some of you DX to FX upgraders are not willing or able to pop for the 14-24 after buying the D800. You may also wish for a highly flare-resistant lens which will put up a good pic without veiling and blobs all over the shop when shooting with the sun in the frame. I was curious to see how wide I could go with the Nikon 10-24 in 1.2 crop mode.

The answer is that it will not do the equivalent field of view to 10mm without completely losing the corners and severe vignetting. But it will do 17 mm with mild vignetting and minor corner softness in 1.2 crop mode, which is pretty darn wide. At that point, you've got about 24MP working, which is a slight but definitely noticeable improvement over DX mode. The contrast is bumped up a bit too. So, the upshot, if you need the full 10mm field of view, you've got to use DX mode, which of course is none too shabby at 15 MP and a bit better than the D7000. If you can get by with 13mm or so DX equivalent, then by all means take advantage of 1.2 crop mode. The Adobe lens profiles work the same.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow