Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MustangJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
LX3 versus LX7
Aug 23, 2012

I've been an LX3 user for four years now and I really like that camera. I was given the opportunity to try out an LX7 a week ago and take it out on a waterfall shoot. Here's a link to the photos that I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mustangjoe/sets/72157631070156552/with/7783652338/

Many of them are HDRs processed with SNS HDR and they're identified with an "HDR" tag. I had to convert the RAWs to TIFF using SilkyPix since ACR 7.1 doesn't recognize the LX7 RAW format. Apparently you can use ACR 7.1 if you edit the RAW files with a hex editor and change any "LX7" strings to "LX5" but I didn't bother. hat SilkyPix is something else though so I probably could've processed them better in ACR.

So, what did I think of the LX7? I love it and will replace my LX3 with it as soon as possible. The LX7 is slightly larger than the LX3 but not enough to make a difference. I carried the LX7 in my pant's pocket on the waterfall shoot without any problem. The MOS sensor is better than the LX3 when it comes to noise and dynamic range at all ISO levels and concerns about the smaller sensor are unfounded. The lens is fast and sharp.

The LCD screen is fantastic. There's absolutely no comparison with the LX7 being brighter and more vibrant than the LX3. When I had them side by side it was immediately obvious how much better the new screen is.

The LX7 is faster when processing and storing multiple exposures such as auto-bracketing. The controls are easy to get used to when coming from the LX3. The aperture priority ring is very handy as well as the dedicated ISO button. The built in ND filter gives you 3 stops and came in very useful when photographing the waterfall. I like that the filters now screw on to the end of the lens rather than requiring a tube adapter like the LX3.

Overall, it's a great camera and a good upgrade from the LX3.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mustangjoe

MustangJoe's gear list:MustangJoe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow