EM-5 suitable for kids and pet photography?

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh yes it is
In reply to Roger Nordin, Aug 23, 2012

Roger Nordin wrote:

texinwien wrote:

I sort of doubt that's the way every person shoots with a DSLR - I guess a large contingent of DSLR users have no idea what they're doing with their cameras, but that's beside the point

Now, you could let the camera select the AF points. But if you have a smaller DOF, like when using a bright prime, you better nail that focus

Absolutely. Most people who have better primes on their DSLRs probably do it like that, but most people with DSLRs never take their kit lenses off, so they don't have to worry about shallow DOF. Again, not arguing with you here - not really related to the points at hand.

This is also true, and while I usually prefer using the viewfinder to frame my shots, the touch-to-shoot feature on the E-M5 is simply amazing for this. I find it's practically instantaneous in good light, although the Panasonic 20mm slows it down a little.

Agreed with that, it feels just as instant as a dSLR. Amazing!

Was brainstorming - how to get the same functionality while using the viewfinder, and I hit it. Look to focus. Mark my words, it'll be developed one of these days. Frame your shot, look at the point you want to be in focus and release the shutter. It's already possible to measure where the eye is looking, so I imagine it's only a matter of time before something like this is reality. Best of both worlds for me - instant focus point adjustment, no hands required, while using the EVF.

This is interesting. I have an old 300D that I've hardly used in the past few years. I just turned it on (man, it feels big and heavy compared to my E-M5) to see how moving the focus point works on it. It's pretty easy to move through the 9 focus points quickly, so I can see how this might be realistic, even for capturing an erratically-moving subject.

By different workflow I mean I usually try to decide that "I want the face in the upper right intersection of the 'rule of thirds' grid", move the focus point there, and then follow my subject by moving the camera. This is much easier than fiddling with buttons, and as a bonus I keep the composition. But true, if I need to re-compose or re-think the shot, it's quite quick to move them around indeed, as you just discovered.

Right, I was thinking about moving them to recompose and shoot when the subject is moving erratically. If you have some time to think about it, it's not quite as difficult.

I'm going to have to play with the E-M5 to see what the quickest way to do this is while using the viewfinder. I usually prefer to use the smaller focus box on the E-M5, and I'm not sure there's a really quick way to move that box.

The buttons seem to have some acceleration when you hold one down to move in that direction... but I guess it takes some practicing. Maybe this particular aspect could benefit from a grip too? Never used one on the OM-D, but the angle of the thumb working the buttons doesn't feel perfect with the native body alone. A natural compromise with the small size of course.

They do have some acceleration. I'll have to see how handy I can get at adjusting them quickly while my eye's on the EVF.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow