Suggestions for a standard zoom to pair with A65?

Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 937Gear list
Like?
Suggestions for a standard zoom to pair with A65?
Aug 23, 2012

I'm an m4/3 shooter, but I'm finding some limitations in that system which are difficult or impossible to overcome. I've decided to augment that equipment with an A65, but I'm not sure what lens I want to pair with it. This replaces a GH2+14-140mm, and I'd ideally stay under $300. Used might be okay for the lens. No interest in primes, as I've already got a stellar set on the m4/3 side. Here's what I've found:

• 18-55 kit zoom: Totally bog-standard kit zoom. Nothing in particular to like or dislike.

• 18-135 kit zoom: Nice reach, which I like. I'm a little wary about the optical quality, particularly distortion.

• Tamron 18-200: Very similar to my old kit. I'm a little wary of the optical quality and a non manufacturer lens, and there's the open question of whether I actually want a superzoom.

• Tamron 17-50mm: Blows my budget a fair bit, but at least it's fast.

Advice would be appreciated.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow