Photography: The big lie

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
karlreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
the camer maketh not the picture, Ken Rockwell agrees..
In reply to Pixnat2, Aug 23, 2012

I'm quoting Rockwell directly, because there's no direct link to this piece..

But, he says the same thing, with a bit less diplomacy.

Still, its really nice to own beautiful gear. I loved my Contax G1 kit, and nearly cried when i sold it (I almost got enough for a Fuji X1Pro body)..

What neither the Op nor KR talked about was the effort people put into PP. I find this really daunting!

And now, the words of KR himself, edited to keep within the "fair dealing" requirements of copyright..

"
Own It, Learn It, Love It

"""""""""""""""

The most important thing is to learn it. It never matters what camera you have, but it always matters if you know how to use it.

We'd all take much better pictures if we'd pay attention to using and appreciating what we already own, instead of wasting time trying to figure out how to throw away more money.

I realize it's much easier for most people just to throw money at a problem instead of spending the time to learn something new and complex, but buying more gear usually results in worse pictures because the mental effort you wasted on researching a purchase should have been spent on learning what makes a great picture instead.
""""""""""""""""

The people who focus on their pictures are the ones who make great pictures, while the people who focus on their cameras just wind up owning better cameras. It's never your camera.

"""""""""""""" Read Bruce Barnbaum's book;""""""""""Understand that book and you'll make great shots with anything, but keep throwing thousands of dollars away every few years on the latest gear will keep you making exactly the same photos.
""""""""""""""

" from Ken Rockwell
--
karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
zzzzNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow