ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bearum
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
So, my dad...
Aug 23, 2012

Hi all.

I wonder if you could oblige with some advice. My dad is in his mid 50s, and has used a 35mm film slr (a Minolta, I believe) for the last 20 years or so. He didn't take many photos prior to that. He's not a "photographer" per se - just someone who enjoys taking photos on holidays and at special events.

He's now decided to pick up a used digital camera of some sort, and doesn't know where to start. He enjoys the quality of image that he gets - so he won't go down the "bridge" or compact route.

He has a very limited budget, so please bear that in mind. Probably in the c. £400 area, and maybe less.

He's unlikely to need more than a couple of general purpose zoom lenses covering something like 18 - 300mm. I might persuade him that a cheap 50mm 1.8 prime is worth the investment. Again, budget is an issue, and he'll probably start with a single lens.

So - I'm aware that you might say that anything will do for such simple requirements, but what would you recommend? Should he be looking at m 4/3 or similar? Or is it a better idea to stick to an entry level dslr?

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow