EM-5 suitable for kids and pet photography?

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh yes it is
In reply to Roger Nordin, Aug 23, 2012

Roger Nordin wrote:

texinwien wrote:

With regard to the original poster's questions about photographing active children, the method you're explaining here isn't going to be an option

Please explain to me why. This is the why every person shoots using a dSLR, I'd say.

I sort of doubt that's the way every person shoots with a DSLR - I guess a large contingent of DSLR users have no idea what they're doing with their cameras, but that's beside the point

Are you saying you can't shoot fast action with a dSLR?

Honestly, I don't shoot much action, and I've not played with moving the focus point on the fly with my DSLR in a situation where the object I want to focus on is moving quickly and erratically. It seems like it'd be tough to set the point correctly and quickly enough when the movement is unpredictable, but maybe it's a question of practice. I'll have to play around with it a little. When the movement is predictable, setting the focus point before framing the shot is 'easier', for sure.

By the way, I could be wrong, but I get the impression that you're sort of itching to find a few 'fanboys' to argue with. Like you can hardly wait for them to come out of the woodwork, and you're willing to be a bit inflammatory if that's what it takes to bring them out of hiding.

Again, just my impression.

whereas the automatic face-detection, plus the ability to set which eye the camera will focus on (with the E-M5) should be helpful.

In my experience, there are many situations when doing candid shooting (as opposed to "smile for the camera" type of photos) where faces aren't facing forward/straight on enough for the OM-D face detect to lock on.

This is true.

I prefer to rely on touch-to-shoot mode using the back LCD.

This is also true, and while I usually prefer using the viewfinder to frame my shots, the touch-to-shoot feature on the E-M5 is simply amazing for this. I find it's practically instantaneous in good light, although the Panasonic 20mm slows it down a little.

Fact detect is nice when it works, but it doesn't for all the situations I'd wish it would work for. And it can have funky side effects too, see below. So if using the EVF I find myself having to resort to manually setting the AF point, so it becomes a question of ergonomics. The rubbery buttons on the four way keypad on the OM-D is okay, but just not more. Guess the 650D is pretty equal, though it's less cramped of course, not being so small. The four-way direct joystick on the 7D is much superior, though. In either case, shooting with the EVF and selecting a certain AF point is not directly comparable, as the workflow is different, as I usually anticipate the composition, select the suitable AF point, and seeks the shot I want.

This is interesting. I have an old 300D that I've hardly used in the past few years. I just turned it on (man, it feels big and heavy compared to my E-M5) to see how moving the focus point works on it. It's pretty easy to move through the 9 focus points quickly, so I can see how this might be realistic, even for capturing an erratically-moving subject.

I'm going to have to play with the E-M5 to see what the quickest way to do this is while using the viewfinder. I usually prefer to use the smaller focus box on the E-M5, and I'm not sure there's a really quick way to move that box. I know I can move it with the arrow buttons on the back of the camera, but I have the feeling that's going to be too slow if my subject's moving erratically.

Btw, a side effect of face detect is how it throws off the exposure. Intended as a feature, I never really like that. Say you are shooting a person in a backlit situation, but there is no face lock as the person is looking down, to the side, etc. You up the exposure compensation a lot, which is so easy to do on the OM-D with the dedicated control dial. You shoot a couple of frames, then the person looks up enough for the face detect to lock. Suddenly you will have a bright overexposed photo, as it now tries to lift the exposure, not considering you already did that with the exposure compensation. Man and machine misunderstanding each other... makes we wanna consider turning face detect off all together sometimes.

Yes, face-detect can be hit-or-miss. Sometimes it's spot on, others, it's more trouble than it's worth.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow