Started Aug 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LongTimeNikonUser
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073
Like?
After five years, need new monitor; lots of "basic"questions
Aug 23, 2012

My Dell 2007WFP seems to be failing. People on a different forum think that the power supply is probably failing, based on the description of how this monitor stops working. And no, I'm not a whiz with a soldering iron, so that I can remove the failing parts and install replacements. So I'm going to need a new monitor, even though I wasn't planning to buy one anytime soon. So I'm completely out of date on monitor technologies, pricing, competitors, etc.

I do my serious photo work with Photoshop CS 6 or Lightroom. Aside from these apps, my system is fairly standard. Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Office 2010 64-bit, Quicken, Firefox, etc. I do a lot of PowerPoint for my job, but that's all "business graphics." My questions are based on what was "true" in 2007.

• Are the "best" monitors for photo editing still based on IPS panels?

• Do I still need to spend about $1000 for a really good 20" or 24" IPS monitor?

• I was doing some quick browsing on the Dell website last night, and I saw monitors that I thought were IPS, but cost

• Based on a different thread in this forum, when I upgrade my PC, I will get a video card thatsupports 10-bit color. Can all monitors support 10-bit color, or is 8-bit depth still the default? Will 10-bit color depth add a lot to the purchase price.

• Which vendors/products should I consider, assuming that I want to spend no more than say $500 for a 20/22/24" monitor? (Is this a realistic budget?)

• Aside from dpreview, what are the best sites for reading "intelligent" reviews?

Thanks in advance for reading and answering these noob-ish questions.
--
LongTimeNikonUser

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow