Flat view
trevmar
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399
Like?
Excellent Review of LX7 vs RX100 lenses
Aug 23, 2012

At last a technical review of lens distortions in the RX100 and LX7

Summary:

1. The LX7 has the same peak resolution as the worst the RX100 lens has at its fringes. You just can't beat those extra pixels in the Rx100 sensor.

2. By f2.8 the RX100 lens (full wide) has developed reasonably sharp edges, and has about 140% of the LX7 resolution across its image field.

3. The LX7 has a much more consistent lens, but the limited megapixels of the sensor limit its resolving power.

4. You don't want to use the LX7 at wide angle, f5.6

5. You don't want to use the RX100 fully open beyond f4

6. At full reach, the LX7 lens is very smooth indeed, with about 80% of the resolution of the RX100 at that reach (provided you stay below F5.6 by using the ND filter... (nice for portraits with bokeh, I think)

7. The RX100 is tiny...

Here is a translated copy of the review (it is in Spanish):
http://is.gd/LIdpzg

The Rx100 still has some rough edges in its manufacture which Sony needs to fix, but it is clearly a game changer.

My LX7 is coming tomorrow. I will probably keep it, now I have seen objective data on the competitive lenses. I need the LX7 for its better video, in any case.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow