ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
john10001
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
to upgrade or not to upgrade...
Aug 22, 2012

...and if so the question is what to?

I love the controls and feel of my LX5 but I may not go to LX7 as there is a lot of other options.

X10
RX100
DP2M / DP1M
1 J2
LX7

Not sure I can afford the RX100. To get that I would have to sell my LX5 and then probably double up whatever I got for it just to get the RX100. On paper a great camera, the few sample photos I've seen look great, but not convinced on it as a replacement for LX5 especially in terms of ergonomics.

Is it a serious advanced compact digital camera giving me the controls I need and not just a compact digital camera they have managed to shove the latest and greatest cmos sensor of size into?

I really want to see Ricoh come out with something more dynamic with a bigger sensor to wow me. I don't get what they are doing at the moment.

The X10 I am very impressed with what I see image quality wise, but it is simply just not a compact.

With the LX7 Panasonic seem to be treading water. They take steps forwards in some areas but steps back in others. Are they still listening to their customers? And do they see the competition now?

1 J2 looks interesting but it is a Nikon and they don't have a good reputation outside of the dSLR's they make, and I don't think it looks like it would be a good camera to use and hold either like the RX100.

Sigma are the alternative I am thinking about right now for an eventual replacement!

There are a few known downsides to their products and I would be faced with decision of which one to go for the 28mm is it? or the 41mm?

I think their advantages greatly outweigh any minus points though, and they are serious advanced compacts primarily for still photography.

Always been a big fan of Sigma and what they do and one of the things they seem to do best is listen to their customers which is what you need. Now imagine if they had a combined DP1M and DP2M rolled into one and better video abilities to keep up with competition. That could really sway me.

I think I am going to either end up just sticking with LX5 or going to either LX7 or DP1M/DP2M.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,

John

Born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. I reject EU citizenship.

Pentax Espio Mini / Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 / Now someone please sell me their K-5 on eBay for a low price ;)!
_ _

Fujifilm X10 Nikon 1 J2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow