Is RX100 overexposure inevitable?

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Huh?
In reply to mvph, Aug 22, 2012

mvph wrote:

Really, we should commend the metering for exposing the dark/shade at all costs? You seem to imply that since highlight clipping is present in both images, that they are the same.

No, you're only reinforcing my point that y'all are fixated on highlight clipping in an extreme case and missing the point on why RX100 might be designed to shoot on the right. Spend some time looking at the details in shadows as well. You like LX7 there as well?

Clearly, I never implied that "we" should commend anything, when "we" can't even agree on the whole picture.

Let's see, I can take the LX7 JPG and run it through DXO for a quick shadow recovery:

You can also check the historgrams of both images. WHich camera do you think preserved more highlights for a salvageable image in post?

And this is something I did yesterday, hence my point made earlier (but didn't post the picture since I'm unsure of copyright infringement using DCR's image on DPR. Neither LX7 nor RX100 image is great if you don't like clipped highlights after processing what these JPEGs allow. May be you like "some clipped highlight" and don't care about anything else in the image? Sounds like it.

Can you recover the RX100's blown highlights? Do you think you could if you had the RAW file?

Can't say unless I have the RAW file. I can say that despite tweaks, LX7 has lower (but still blown) highlight but demonstrably worse presentation of dark/shadow details. No?

Again, I mentioned that this has been pointed out in POSITIVE reviews of the RX100. If people get past pixel peeping high ISO images, they may realize this.

Or, if they looked at the entire picture and understood that a picture isn't only a part of it. That, compromises abound, and instead of sitting and complaining about it, they should instead take control and decide the photographs themselves. Camera is a tool... but for photographers. If you're into point and shoot, well, there's a market for that. I don't think that market deserves a boat load of options that RX100 provides.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow