Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Wogan
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
The Peak District with Sony NEX7 and Samyang 14mm
Aug 22, 2012

Nearly two years ago, I stopped taking photographs altogether. Other things had come along and I sold my entire Canon kit (5D II, 1Ds and all the lenses). No more standing on windy hilltops at dawn for me.

And so this morning, I found myself standing on a windy hilltop in the Peak District of Derbyshire with the Sony NEX 7 and Samyang 14mm lens that I bought one month ago. I had never intended to resume Landscaping – especially with a mirrorless camera, even if it had 24 million pixels. But that's where I ended up.

Driving back to London today, I considered that if I was to do Landscaping again - I would of course have to re-invest in a suitable Canon kit. No matter how good the NEX 7 was, it could not possibly compete with full frame plus L glass.

And now I've processed the images from this morning. The bottom line is that NEX 7 plus the 200 quid Samyang produces sharper images than my old 5D did with the Canon 14mm L. The dynamic range of the camera is awesome and the LCD screen works well in the dawn light.

In conclusion: I have no plans to spend any money on Canon kit but I do expect to be spending more time on various wind-swept hills in the near future.

Here's a selection from this morning.

-- hide signature --

David Wogan - The Landscape of Britain
http://www.davidwogan.com

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow