Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,130
Like?
Re: Interesting D7k x Oly OMD comparison
In reply to rhlpetrus, Aug 22, 2012

Hi Renato,

You have some nice samples !

While I own a NEX kit and have looked seriously at micro 4/3 and the RX100 (and every other prosumer digicam) I've only half-heartedly considered the '1' system.

I checked it out briefly in person at a trade show when it was new and while it's small & focuses fast, my immediate impression was "where are the controls ?" I wanted to know if the camera was in A mode or P mode, and how I could change it. It's very far from intuitive. The NEX menu system is poor, and I don't want to use cameras with bad user interfaces any more.

Other than that ... a sluggish kit zoom (on a small sensor) and a not-too-fast prime just aren't that compelling. Where the RX100 gets down to f/1.8 at the WA end and is faster than the '1's kit zoom at the tele end, all in a pocketable camera. Really, the only selling points in favor of the V1 over the RX100 that I see are (1) compability with Nikon lenses for possible wildlife photography (not a huge selling point, though a 35/1.8 as a portrait prime could be interesting) and (2) the EVF. Versus my NEX, it's smaller and has the EVF, and the AF is more responsive.

What could tempt me would be a body with a built in EVF and a tilting or articulating LCD plus additional external controls (basically a cross between the V1 and the P7700) and a 15/2 pancake lens.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow