Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
philm5d
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
Megapixels and giant enlargements
Aug 22, 2012

A company asked me if I had any local landscape images. I sent them a selection and they have purchased licenses to reproduce about a dozen.

Today I got to see 12 giant canvasses 4x3 feet in size from the original camera size files. I'd assumed they were all 12 M/P originally but this one turned out to be from my D70, a paltry 6.

Being quite stunned by the image quality I tried a bit of an experiment with some D800 files.

In adobe camera raw one gets the options of converting raw files to jpgs of differing sizes so I converted the same file both to 36 and to 11 M/P and saved both as jpgs.

I then UPSIZED the 11 M/P file with the "image size" box BACK to its original pixel size dimensions.

Now this is where I might be going wrong but to my mind I'm doing the same as uprezzing an image from an 11 M/P camera (rather than the D800).

OK so I copied the downsized/upsized image over onto a layer over the 36M/P image and so I could switch the top layer on and off to see the difference - except there was NO DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE WHATEVER AT 100%. Obviously there must be a flaw in the logic somewhere - can someone explain please???

Nikon D70 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow