Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Melville service update
Aug 22, 2012

Today Melville acknowledged my D800 (the second of my two) as having arrived for its second repair attempt. This is the one that I wrote the letter to the NikonUSA CEO about.

Melville acknowledged that the body was indeed front-focused as I had claimed, and they offered to fix that with the caution that I would have to redo my AF Fine Tune values (no biggie there, as I was assuming I would be redoing that).

Most interestingly...

Despite acknowledging the front focused nature of their previous repair, they did not at all acknowledge the primary issue of the disparity among the 51 AF points .

In other words, NikonUSA is currently so afraid of this issue that they appear not to want to talk about it.

I have pointed out to them that they failed to respond to the primary question and that I need them to do that before I can render my service choice to repair or not.

Oh, and this is awesome: They said if I wanted I could send in my lenses. To that of course I pointed out that the lenses are not front focusing on any other bodies, including my other D800, which was "repaired" quite differently, without the gross amount of front focus.

This is not especially hopeful. I am for the moment not quoting them verbatim simply out of respect for their boilerplate language at the bottom of the service notes that ask you not to copy the text into forums. However, I feel that summarization is quite fair, and I also don't think their boilerplate has any legally or contractually binding effect.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow