Leica M9 monochrome discussion (+ one sample image)

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497
Like?
Leica M9 monochrome discussion (+ one sample image)
Aug 22, 2012

Some of the M9M are being delivered in Germany at this moment, and user comments are coming in about its performance (and why one would prefer the mono over the "regular" M9). I've followed the discussion for a little bit, and came to a point where I thought I would share this picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wnknipser/7797357134/ (download the O-version)

which was posted by a new owner a couple days ago. It sort of triggered a bit of disbelief in me, on account of, well, what I saw here on my screen - which was the eye of the subject in focus (duh!), but, more significantly, the delicate texture of the black t-shirt revealed in all its detail - it's not a black on black mass of pixels, but the actual weaving pattern becomes visible, layered and quite distinct. I don't think the author/creator paid much attention PPing THAT particular (very dull) section of the image, but it just happens to have been fully resolved and rendered - I find that level of detail in an off-area quite astounding.

Extrapolating from other aspects of the discussion, there's a bit of an inclination to twist and tilt the accompanying SFX2 into various contortions (to blacken the sky, mask out trees, highlight certain other parts, etc.) at this point in the life of the M9M users, but it seems the files respond very well to being pulled this way and that. Except, it is said, what is overexposed and blown out, will remain so, whereas what lies in the shadows can easily (and w/o loss of IQ) be recovered. Furthermore, one user reports that what is sharp and in focus is more distinct from OOF areas because (in comparison to her M9), well, the level of sharpness is just more pronounced.

Thought I'd share this...

Thanks.
Thomas

=====================================
Tibetan image gallery: http://hahn.zenfolio.com/Tibet_86
=====================================

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow