Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KingSpence
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
NEX Cameras are Sony's Future
Aug 22, 2012

After owning the NEX 5N for a few months now, I truly believe these cameras will define the future of Sony. If these products aren't successful, then Sony as a company won't be. But if they are and people begin to seriously look at these cameras, it'll improve Sony's brand image overall. PlayStation has been doing pretty bad compared to Xbox, TV margins are extremely slim, phones and tablets are pretty much dead here in the U.S. etc. But these cameras are the one product Sony has that is truly unique that will make people's heads turn. They're reminiscent of the old Sony who made these really futuristic products that other companies simply couldn't match.

I recently went to Yosemite and took the 5N with me. A good friend of mine has been looking into getting a camera for months now. I told him to check out the NEX line but he thought they looked like toys and there was no way they could match the power of a DSLR. He ended up with a Nikon D7000 and the entire trip was just talking trash about how my camera sucks blah blah blah. It really got on my nerves, but it's difficult to put someone in their place who clearly hasn't done their research on the subject. There's a reason I got the 5N over a DSLR.

We've been back for a few days and uploaded most of our pics onto Facebook. Guess whose pictures look better? Mine. And they look WAY better. On many of his the lighting is way off, pictures are really soft, look grainy and un-detailed etc. The D7000 does have better IQ than the 5N, but if you don't know what you're doing and don't know how to frame a good picture, then you shouldn't be using a camera like that. He had such a hard time trying to change one setting whereas on my 5N I can adjust anything within 1-2 seconds. His excuse was my camera is super easy to use, does everything for me, and all I have to do is shoot. It's not that the NEX is easy to use, I just have mine fully customized so I can access my different modes, apertures, shutter speeds, ISO, white balances etc. by pressing one button. If I'm out shooting I don't have time to be going 4 menus deep to change one setting, I may have already lost the shot.

During the trip many people asked me what kind of camera I was using. After explaining what the camera was all about, these people were genuinely interested in the product and getting one for themselves. I had one person straight up stop me and say "your camera is fu* ing awesome!!". My silver NEX 5N stands out and for good reason. It's futuristic, has style, and has the raw power to back it up. It isn't just a gimmick, it's a viable DSLR replacement for non-pro photographers. Give it a few more generations and NEX will be a viable DSLR replacement for anyone. Especially once FF, Phase Detection, better lens selection, and other various improvements to the sensor trickle out over the coming generations.

I have the money to pretty much buy any sub-$3000 camera and be fine with it. I'm a very tech savvy person and am able to adapt to new gear pretty easily. When I look at DSLR's, I see a powerful product that's archaic, old, and extremely bulky. As someone who's very active, there's no way I would want to lug one around while going on hikes or walking around all day on vacation. It's simply too big and cumbersome. If Sony's NEX line didn't exist, I'd probably have gotten a DSLR as it would have been the best option. But for me, and pretty much any other non-pro photographer on the market, NEX will check every box on the list. The image quality is that damn good. It's an engineering feat to make cameras this small but pack such a huge punch.

All Sony has to do is market, market, market. I haven't seen a single TV ad for these cameras yet. I do like walking into Best Buy and seeing a shelf dedicated to NEX, but I think this brand deserves more marketing. I heard outside the U.S. NEX is a pretty big deal, but over here it hasn't really caught on yet. I bring this thing with me every where I go and have taken over 5,000 photos the past 2 months. Once the new 16-50mm pancake comes out, it'll be that much more awesome because it'll fit into a pocket.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow