Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
macnmore
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Help calibrating L358 to D800
Aug 22, 2012

Was on a shoot last night with my new D800 and noticed that every time I metered the ambient with my Sekonic L358, it was about 2 stops off. If the meter said 1/500th @ f2.8, I'd have to shoot around 1/1200-1/1600th to get proper exposure. Proper exposure was tested by breaking out my PhotoVision Digital Target ( http://www.photovisionvideo.com/digital-targets/ ) and checking the histogram for proper exposure. This morning I tweaked the L358 to +1 exposure and the shots are coming up almost exactly 1 stop under-exposed. If I double up my ISO (going from 100 to 200) or halve my shutter speed (dropping from 1/200th to 1/100th) my Digital Target/Histogram shows dead on exposure. Making sure this wasn't a problem with the D800, I got out my D7000 to see what settings it would give me in the exact same conditions. Again, with my L358 at +1, it was 1 stop under-exposed. Doubling the ISO or Halving the shutter speed gave me perfect exposure. My question is, the L358 will only allow me to go to +1 compensation. Can I send this in to have it recalibrated? Do I just accept this and know that I have to always add +1 exposure in the camera from what the L358 says? Thoughts?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow