Should I sell my 5Dii for an OM-D?

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
digifan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,167
Like?
Re: No clue ...
In reply to Ajohnw, Aug 22, 2012

Do you really own an E-M5, I doubt it.
You think and believe so much, you should establish your own "church".

You suggest the 300D and 5D1 are better than E-M5, and that my dear man is a dead give away that you don't have a clue. The 300D is trounced by allready the P3 and most Panasonic m43 cams even GF3/5

The 5DmkI has it's use but is definately not better than an E-M5 and until ISO3200 the E-M5 keeps up nicely with the MKII.

Ajohnw wrote:

I'm glad a few have cast some doubt on the subject.

I would say much depends on the reproduction sizes you have printed and the quality level that the printing needs. There is no getting round sensor size. Pixel counts on their own aren't a sensible way of looking at it. This touches on why at some levels cameras are large format, 48bit colour and absolutely enormous image file sizes. Sometimes subsequent reproduction needs it.

Going on the pen neither the sensor or the af can match canon. I use a 5D 1 and a 300D plus the Pen now. I like it but it's best to realise it's limitations. The em-5 really aught to be better but..................?

I think you might be better off having both. Given the camera and it's features I'm not sure I would be prepared to pay the price of the EM-5. Compare with a pen and what would I get. More pixels, maybe a better sensor and image stability while manually focusing plus a viewfinder. The latter 2 would be great but it's a lot extra to pay. Maybe I'm suggesting a Pen plus what you have would meet your needs but it's hard to be sure. It wouldn't cost much to find out. The viewfinder is rather expensive which is one negative aspect. The other is which one. Personally for small carry around it must have built in flash. That leaves 2 I think. The E-PL1 and the E-P3. To fully control a pen it's best to set manual iso and use either shutter or aperture priority. The E-P3 controls are some what easier to use with the viewfinder on. P mode works well but often needs more sky included to get the exposure right etc and software correction. Haven't used iAuto options enough to comment. The camera last shot display shows both under and over exposed areas which is a great help.

One thing people miss on all of these including the em-5 is focusing. No mirror means it has to be done electronically. There is a huge difference in the resolution of the electronic view and the sensors actual view so a magnified view is provided for critical focusing. It's 7x on a 12mp pen which is just about right for the add on 1.4mp viewfinder. This is fine on the 14-42mm, 42mm is like looking through a 2x7x42 mm lens in 35mm terms hand held without image stability for focusing. I can manage- sort of - but put the zoom that goes to 150mm on and wow. The EM-5 gets round that via a 1/2 shutter press. A Pen does IS for a fraction of a second and then decides not to. Too quick to be of any use. What do people do - buy a Panasonic 40-200 with IS built in. It's heavier and bulkier than the Olympus lenses and has some chromatic aberration. I'm impressed with both Oly lenses. The CA probably doesn't matter on web size shots and in any case can be corrected in software from raw. Jpg's too. Panasonic partially correct in the camera. Another option, a Panasonic camera I don't trust them though. Why does this matter well AF in dim light eg a pleasantly lit living room rather than an operating theatre. Read the reviews on this site and as many others as you can find. The EM-5 has the IS at the right time but the mag view is still needed. There can also be noise problems with low light electronic views. This is down to the update rate they need to give a "live" view. I have read complaints about some earlier cameras having a very very slow live view. Well that would be one way of getting round the noise problems. Might have been an e-p1. Don't know. The problem is that it's hard to match the performance of our eyes electronically. A dslr mirror more or less takes care of that. The AF might also choose to lock onto something un intended / not be capable of focusing on where the user wants it to be. One thing for sure they need contrast and this isn't an uncommon problem.

Another thing is the sensor. The EM-5 uses the same technology so pass. I've never seen pixel bleed in a shot from a canon. I have on my pen. It's a sort of purple fringe between at high contrast boudaries that are heavily exposed, The degree depends on the saturation in the sensor.

Don't get me wrong I think these are great cameras but it's best to be aware of their limitations. I and many others think a pen plus 14-42 lens and maybe a couple of others makes a great street camera and has all sorts of uses. It's isn;t water tight but then em-5 lenses that are wont be cheap. At a £1000 quid for an em-5 I would be going elsewhere I think despite size and weight.

I also think that Olympus are mad selling cameras that will cause experienced users to buy the competitions lenses or an EM-5. Looks like they are inferior lenses too. From what a pen does re IS it looks like they could upgrade firmware to stop that. Even only 5 sec would help a lot. I say that because I wonder if the Pen's IS set up is too fragile to work for long periods. Might be why they went this way as it's an obvious flaw. It spoils an otherwise great camera for lots and lots of uses. Flash - is a camera with out one built in a step up from a compact? I think many compact users would soon be put off immediately or not long after they bought it.. AF assist lights too but that they probably wouldn't realise until after they bought it.

John

-- hide signature --

Digifan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow