Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xenon-mkd
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
D4 battery question
Aug 22, 2012

Pardon my ignorance, but, I got a Nikon D800 and recently purchased for it an aftermarket battery grip from DSTE (ebay seller - dstebattery) alongside the aftermarket battery they sell, EN-EL18A. I'm very pleased, everything works perfectly and only paid $100 for the grip+battery.

Only downside is, the camera can't work in Liveview if only the aftermarket battery is present and in the grip and no original battery remains in the camera.

Second downside is, the wheel that screws into the body (the big wheel bellow the screen) - once tightened it still has 5 mm left/right free play, the grip sits firmly attached but the wheel can move a bit, like the old Canon 5D grips if anyone used them. Other than that, you can't tell it apart from the original Nikon which is also made in China but costs at least 4 times more (don't even know if that price includes a battery at all)

Now the question is, does the D4 only have 1xEN-EL18 battery placed in the lower, grip area of the body? If so, what's there in the normal grip area, is it empty? If so, this puts the D800+grip at an advantage when it comes to battery life since it can hold EN-EL15 + EN-EL18 (with a grip)

Thanks for your replies.

Btw, I recommend this grip if you can live that above mentioned downsides. Also, DSTE is of much better build and finish than the Meike alternative.

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow