What TV/player brands play Pentax AVI files?

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,308Gear list
Like?
What TV/player brands play Pentax AVI files?
Aug 22, 2012

I'm shopping for a new TV and would like to find one with a built-in player which can play the AVI files out of my Pentax camera and the MTS files out of my Panasonic Lumix. I prefer the Lumix for video because it autofocuses and it's 1080p, but I still use my K-x for video once in a while. Thus, I would like to find a setup which can accomodate both of them.

The MTS (AVCHD) pretty much limits it to Pansonic or Sony, but I'm pretty sure that neither of those will play AVI files. So that makes me think that I may need to get a combination of a TV and an external media player. Since I know what brands I need for the MTS files, what I want to find out is what I need for the AVI files.

I am able to read specs for different TVs and media players online. But from what I understand there are different types of AVI files, and it's not always clear which ones will work and which won't. So I figured the best way to find out for sure is just to ask folks who are using the same type of AVI movies.

So the question is, what brand of TV or media player do you use to play your Pentax AVI movies? By media player, I'm talking about a media player that plays to an HD TV -- not just a media player on a computer (I have no problem doing that). If you convert them to a different format first, feel free to explain your process (including the software you use). But to be honest, I really don't want to have to go that route if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow