E-M5 w/ 12-50mm lens (or other) for medical photography?

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
spawar
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
E-M5 w/ 12-50mm lens (or other) for medical photography?
Aug 21, 2012

Hello:

Curious to get thoughts from any E-M5/OM-D owners on the possibility of using this camera with either the 12-50mm lens (or other lens) for medical/surgical photography. I am a facial plastic & reconstructive surgeon and looking to get a camera for both clinic face/portrait style shots of patients as well as close-up/macro functionality for intraoperative photography in surgery.

I currently use a Nikon D7000 for personal use and have seen other colleague surgeons use a Nikon DX format DSLR with the 60mm 2.8G macro lens (with or without a ring flash) for this purpose. However, I am exploring the option of going the micro 4/3rds route with Olympus to keep things more compact. Use of a 90-105mm lens (35 mm equivalent) has been written about in most medical papers for medical photography purposes.

I was interested in exploring use of the OM-D for this purpose, specifically the OM-D with 12-50mm lens and the Metz MS-1 wireless ring flash for the operating room and the ability to trigger off camera flashes in the clinic (or use the FL-600R). I have heard from a local camera store that the MS-1 can be triggered by the OM-D clip on flash. The 12-50mm lens seemed appealing because of its macro capability, but have read that the focusing is limited to 20-50 cm... not sure if this would work in a clinic setting where I'd be taking a more portrait type of head shot. In any case, I would definitely need a lens without significant distortion.

I am a previous Olympus 4/3rds user (and liked it but was frustrated with the limitations at the time) and had switched to Nikon a few years back. However, the new OM-D has definitely caught my eye and is making me consider the switch back to Olympus.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow