Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,376
Like?
D800 with Nikon flash - overexposure?
Aug 21, 2012

I'm finding that my D800e and my SB900 flash aren't working as nicely together as the D700 and SB900 did. I use flash often when I shoot insects on the edges of the day, and the D700/SB900 with the diffuser produced very consistent, very well exposed close up and macro images when setting the D700 to manual exposure, the SB900 to TTL, setting the shutter to 1/200, and adjusting aperture for DOF.

Not so much with the D800e. Way overexposed. I've dialed over 1 stop of negative exposure adjustment on the flash, and it's still on the edge of overexposure. I have two different SB900 and the problem's the same with both. When using my R1C1, three flash heads, I get better results but that could be just the low power nature of what's on there.

This is the only really serious problem I'm encountering with my D800e, and it may be that it interacts differently with the SB900 than with previous cameras, but the degree of overexposure is huge. I've noticed that it's worse if I've got the diffuser on than not.

Any ideas?

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow