Started Aug 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DogShot
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
My MBPr uses a lot of RAM
Aug 22, 2012

I'm 2 weeks in to my MBPr with 16-GB of RAM, and liking it even more than I expected. It's really fast, and it feels like there is virtually no wait when opening applications. Switching to Excel from another application on my mid-2007 iMac was much, much slower than opening an Excel document when Excel is closed on my MBPr. Also, I look at enough screens over the course of the day that I am still shocked...shocked at the clarity of text on the MBPr display whenever I use it.

I've never had a computer with more than 4GB of RAM, and I've always wished for more. My 2010 Macbook (white) had 2GB of RAM, and when I would use it regularly it was showing significant page-outs. When I got the MBPr with 16-GB of RAM I was surprised to see in Activity Monitor that the computer is regularly using 7-9GB of RAM. This is with 10-15 applications open, including things like Mail, Safari, Preview, iPhoto, Reminders, Calendar, etc. The biggest RAM consumers are typically iPhoto, which with only a few hundred JPEGs was using 1GB of memory, and Preview, which with a single PDF open was also using 1GB. Safari was next in line, using around 600-900MB. I guess I'm glad I did not get the 8-GB MBPr.

Mark

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow