Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ednaz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,383
Like?
Think my left focus sensors are good
Aug 21, 2012

Been playing with macro alternatives since I stupidly traded in my Sigma 150mm macro, thinking I could believe the rep who said the 180 was due soon... Butterflies don't tolerate the 105 at 1:1 or even 1:4 distances, and I've had a few hummingbird moths come through that I really want to photograph, and they're spooked really easily. So, I put the 1.7x Nikon extender on my 105mm AFS macro...

Not a focus chart test, but real world I must be stupid to be trusting the AF system to handle this tests.

Not my favorite shot of the last couple days of testing the lens/converter combo, but it's one that was using my leftmost sensor, and it nailed the focus on his head. Some shots, eyes were more in focus, some less - at f11 the DOF is about 1/32 of an inch... and any focus misses were DOF placement misses, not focus misses. I think resolution here is lens limited.

whole frame

close up sample from the frame

Here's one of the better photos with the combo... the crop was only to get rid of the edge to get to a 4x5 aspect ratio, so all vertical pixels are original. At 100% on screen, you can count the individual hairs growing out of individual scales on the wings. The amount of detail is positively freakish, and this is probably lens limited here. Focus point upper left center.

I've photographed my dogs working on their frisbee tricks - a very tricky shooting situation since I'm throwing with my right hand then grabbing the camera, bringing it up to shoot, zooming framing autofocus... and the D800e is nailing focus from far left to far right. Those are shots I'd given up on trying with my D700.

This camera's freakish in its capabilities.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow